Stafford County Offices Closed for Thanksgiving 11/23 - 11/25
close icon

Stafford Recognizes Six Newest PDR Properties

This week, Stafford County recognized the owners of the six properties most recently added to its Purchase of Development Rights Program. The properties bring the total number of acres preserved by the program to 1,035 and the number of development rights retired to 273. The Purchase of Development Rights Program (PDR) is one of the county's tools to preserve open space and promote Healthy Growth.

"We want to celebrate these landowners whose vision for land preservation aligns with our Healthy Growth strategy," said Chairman of the Board of Supervisors Crystal Vanuch, Rock Hill District. "To date, through a variety of tools, there are approximately 12,438 acres that will never be developed in Stafford County and 4,228 development rights retired."

The 12,438 acres include conservation easements, such as the Rappahannock River easement; properties in the Purchase of Development Rights Program; state lands, such as Crow's Nest and Widewater State Park; existing Stafford parkland; and Transfer of Development Right Program properties.

The six farms recognized this week are listed below:

  • The Sterne Farm, 212 acres at the intersection of Poplar and Mountain View roads, is owned by Edward Sterne, William Sterne, Sue Evans, Elizabeth Glass, Irene Kane, Willa Hubert and Rebecca Sterne. This farm is mainly farmland and forestland with sensitive environmental resources. Fifty-five development rights were retired.
  • The McClevey Farm, 83 acres on Den Rich Road adjacent to Patawomeck Park, is owned by Richard McClevey, Kenneth McClevey and Marty McClevey. This farm is mostly forestland and has sensitive environmental resources, including more than 130 bird species documented by the owners, wildflowers and stands of American chestnut. Twenty-five development rights were retired.
  • The Beach Farm, 32 acres on Heflin Road, is owned by Dwayne Beach and Christopher David Beach, sons of Carlton and Anna Beach, who passed away after placing the property under easement. The farm is farmland and forestland with sensitive environmental resources, including threatened and endangered species. Nine development rights were retired.
  • The Shelton Farm, 82 acres on Warrenton Road, is owned by Frank Shelton, Jr. This farm is farmland and forestland with sensitive environmental resources, including a potential habitat for threatened and endangered species. The property has been identified as a Natural Heritage site by the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation. Nineteen development rights were retired.
  • The Spotted Tavern Farm (Huffman Tract), 122 acres on Hartwood Road, is owned by Cathy and John Harris. This farm is farmland and forestland with sensitive environmental resources. It has been identified as a Natural Heritage site. It also has cultural resources associated with Spotted Tavern Farm, which provided lodging for Colonial-era travelers; large-scale encampments for Union forces during the Civil War; and the Burdis U. S. Post Office site from 1909 to 1933. The state of Virginia has also designated it as a Century Farm. Thirty-six development rights were retired.
  • The Harding Farm, 55 acres on New Hope Church Road, is owned by Dennis Harding. The farm is farmland and forestland with sensitive environmental resources, including a perennial stream and wetlands. Fourteen development rights were retired.

To find out more about applying to the Purchase of Development Rights Program, please visit www.staffordcountyva.gov/pdr.