How to File an Appeal
The BCAB consists of five members appointed by the Stafford County Board of Supervisors. The BACB is composed of architects, engineers, builders, property managers or construction superintendents as recommended by the Uniform Statewide Building Code. No Stafford County employee can serve as a member of the BCAB. No member of the BCAB can hear an appeal in which he or she has any personal, professional or financial interest.
- Requests must be submitted within 30 calendar days for new construction issues. Failure to submit a request for an appeal within the time limit above will constitute acceptance of the code official's decision.
- Submit $500 appeal fee, refundable only if BCAB rules in favor of appellant.
Submit the appeal application or a written request in person at the George L. Gordon, Jr. Government Center at 1300 Courthouse Road or mail to the following address:Stafford County - Building Code Appeals Board - ChairpersonPO Box 339Stafford VA 22555-0339
- The appeal can be filed by a building owner, the owner's agent or any person involved in the design, construction or maintenance of the building.
- Hearings of the BCAB are open to the public.
- The BCAB will hear testimony from the appellant, the code official, their representatives or any person whose interests may be affected by the matter on appeal. Note: You or your representative should attend the meeting. Failure to show up at the hearing does not postpone or cancel the appeal.
- After testimony, the BCAB will deliberate and vote. A concurring vote of the majority of the BCAB members present is required to uphold, reverse or modify the decision of the code official.
- A certified copy of the resolution of the BCAB will be furnished to you and the code official. Once a decision has been made, you and the code official must take immediate action to comply with the decision.