2126 Jefferson Davis Highway
Stafford, VA 22554
P.O. Box 339
Stafford, VA 22555-0339
Call (540)658-8950 to schedule an appointment with a plan reviewer
The Building Division of the Department of Public Works receives building permit applications for all residential and commercial building projects in Stafford County. Prior to issuing a building permit, most permit applications must be reviewed to ensure that plans are in compliance with the most recent update of the building code. This process often involves review from the Zoning Division of the Department of Planning and Zoning to ensure the project complies with current zoning regulations. Once a project has been approved and issued a building permit, the project will be inspected by building inspectors at all phases of construction.
The Building Division provides assistance for many building-related issues, including the inspection of damaged structures from fire or storms, and assistance in the resolution of homeowner and contractor disputes.
- Do I need a building permit?
- The neighbor started building something on his house without a permit; shouldn't they have one?
- What happens if I build the structure without a building permit?
- Why does my permit need a plan review?When will my permit be ready?
- Is there any way to expedite my plan review?
- Can I submit my application before I have all the necessary information/attachments?
- How long is my permit valid?
- I haven’t completed any inspections on the permit that was issued to me for work to be done at my home. It has been more than six months; do I need to re-apply for a new permit?
- Do I have to hire a contractor?
- What building code does Stafford County use for residential projects?
- How do I schedule an Inspection?
- Why can’t I schedule my inspection for today?
- Why can’t I get an exact time my inspector will be at my house for an inspection?
- What’s my next inspection?
- Do I need to pay the re-inspection fee before I can schedule another inspection?
- My inspection report says “not ready”. What does that mean and why didn’t I get a full inspection?
- The inspector did not show up to do my deck inspection. What happens now?