- Commercial New building permit application completed and signed by Contractor or Owner (with notarized Affidavit of Owner)
- Electronic copy of building plans and supporting documents (on CD in PDF format.) If the building area is larger than 10,000 square feet, a Fire Marshal review is also required and 2 electronic copies of the plan must be submitted. Please see Plan Submission Requirements for Commercial Construction for more information.
- Administrative and review fees are due at application submittal; please see the current fee schedule for exact amounts.
After the application is submitted you may check the progress of your permit by calling (540) 658-4151 or on the web at HELLO STAFFORD You must have your A/P number to access this information.
The Department of Public Works will contact the applicant when the permit is ready to be issued.
When returning to pick up the permit you will need:
- The assigned A/P number and street address.
- A check in the amount of the remaining fees due.
For a Certificate of Occupancy you will need:
- All inspections passed.
- Please call the permit office at (540) 658-8950 after your final inspection so staff can process the Certificate of Occupancy. It may take 48 hours to prepare the Occupancy Permit.
Associated Forms and Resources: