Historic preservation is the thoughtful management of cultural resources, which includes historic buildings, sites, structures, objects, and landscapes. The goal is to identify significant cultural resources, protect and preserve those resources, and reuse or restore them according to the Secretary of the Interior's Standards.
Preservation can be used as a mechanism to maintain a community's unique identity. It can also be utilized as a tool for economic development. Whether a cemetery, quarry, mill site, Civil War fortification, plantation house, school, farm complex, or an entire village, our cultural resources enable us to make sense of our past, which in turn helps us to understand our present, and ultimately, guides us in wise planning for our future.
Historic Resource Overlay Districts
County Code Chapter 28 Article IV
Section 28-58 - Historic Resource Overlay District (HR)
- Historic Resource Overlay District Guidelines
- Historic Districts Overall Map
- Historic Districts Individual Maps
Historic Preservation Boards
Historic Falmouth District - Master Interpretive Plan - Prepared with funds contributed by Virginia Department of Transportation to assist with interpretive programming for the Falmouth Historic District.
Reports and Studies
Cultural Resource Study of Slavery-related Buildings and Sites in Stafford County, Virginia
Dovetail Cultural Resource Group, along with Dennis Pogue, LLC, conducted a county-wide survey of Stafford County, Virginia between October 2014 and May 2015. The project was completed at the request of the Stafford County Board of Supervisors through a grant from the Virginia Department of Historic Resource (DHR) through the Certified Local Government (CLG) Grant Program. The goal of this CLG project was to gather data to note the extant above- and below-ground slave-related resources in the county. A copy of the survey can be found by clicking here.
- Guide To Virginia Historical Resources
- Historic Preservation Easements
- National Register of Historic Places
- Online Historic Preservation Education (self tutorials)
- Tax Incentives for Historic Preservation
- Teaching with Historic Places (especially designed for teachers)
- Technical Preservation Briefs (how to guides)
- Virginia Department of Historic Resources