ResponsibilitiesStafford County provides information to citizens in a number of ways. The Department of Community Engagement leads these communication efforts with staff serving as the main spokesperson for the Stafford County Government. In addition, staff members work with media representatives, maintain government cable channels, coordinate special events, and assist with the maintenance of Stafford's Web site.
Specifically, staff in this office:
- Write press releases, articles for other publications, letters to the editor, commentaries for newspapers, and speeches
- Write and produce internal communications for employees and the Board of Supervisors
- Coordinate special events
- Draft proclamations for adoption by the Board
- Assist the Board with special requests
- Write speeches as requested by the Board and staff
- Write and submit award applications for County programs
- Administer and maintain Stafford's website
- Design and publish county newsletters
- Administer and maintain the County's social media sites
- Provide media and communications support to the Emergency Operations Center, activated by the County during local emergencies
The Community Engagement Office has taken on an increasingly involved role in internal communications by working with various committees to publicize County programs, events, policy changes, and new initiatives in order to keep employees better informed and thus better equipped to provide high-quality customer service, which will assist the Community Engagement Office in getting accurate information to the public.
The Community Engagement Office includes the Citizens Assistance Office, which provides more than 100 volunteers to assist with various tasks throughout the Stafford Government Center, in the courts, and in the Sheriff's Office. For more information about volunteering, please contact the Citizens Assistance Office at (540) 658-4516.