STAFFORD COUNTY PLANNING COMMISSION
The Stafford County Planning Commission will hold a Public Hearing on Wednesday, December 11, 2019, beginning at 6:30 p.m., or as soon thereafter as the matter may be heard, in the Board of Supervisors Chambers, George L. Gordon, Jr., Government Center, 1300 Courthouse Road, Stafford, Virginia, on the item(s) listed below.
1. RC19152631; Reclassification - Retail at Garrisonville - A proposed reclassification, with proffers, from the R-1, Suburban Residential Zoning District to the B-2, Urban Commercial Zoning District, to allow for the development of a commercial business with a drive-through on Tax Map Parcel No. 20-35A (Property). The Property consists of 0.82 acres and is located on the north side of Garrisonville Road, approximately 230 feet east of Kingsland Drive, within the Griffis-Widewater Election District. The Property is subject to a concurrent conditional use permit request.
Existing R-1 Zoning District: permits low density residential uses where public water and sewerage are available. Such districts are intended to be characterized primarily by single-family dwellings. See the Zoning Ordinance, Stafford County Code Sec. 28-35, for a full listing of permitted uses in the R-1 Zoning District.
Proposed B-2 Zoning District: permits high-intensity commercial uses intended to serve retail sales and service, and business and professional needs at a regional or countywide scale at a maximum density of 0.70 floor area ratio (FAR). See the Zoning Ordinance, Stafford County Code Sec. 28-35, for a full list of permitted uses in the B-2 Zoning District.
Proposed Proffers: the proposed proffers would:
- require that the Property be accessed by sharing the existing entrance to Tax Map Parcel No. 20-36 and that such entrance is converted to a right-in/right-out configuration as generally shown on the Generalized Development Plan (GDP);
- require inter-parcel connections to provide access to Tax Map Parcel Nos. 20-35H and 20-36;
- require dedication of right-of-way in order to facilitate future construction of a 6-lane divided highway along Garrisonville Road;
- require construction of a sidewalk as generally shown on the GDP;
- require that the proposed use will not generate more than 1,000 vehicles per day (VPD) without performing a Traffic Impact Analysis (TIA). If the proposed use exceeds 1,000 VPD at the time of site plan application the applicant shall provide a TIA and implement recommended improvements;
- require a mix of evergreen and deciduous trees in any screening areas, with a minimum of 50% evergreens;
- prohibit certain uses otherwise permitted by-right in the B-2 zoning district;
- prohibit any building on the Property from exceeding 40 feet in height;
- require the architectural design of the buildings to include specified materials;
- require the color, design, and materials of all signs to coordinate with the architectural design of the building on the Property;
- require removal of the existing residence, well, and septic system on the Property;
- require specified materials for screening surrounding the dumpster on the Property; and
- prohibit truck deliveries between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. on the Property.
Comprehensive Plan: identifies the property within a recommended Commercial Corridor and within the Suburban Area land use designation. Commercial Corridors are intended to encourage commercial activities where there are adequate transportation facilities to accommodate proposed uses. Suburban Areas of the County are areas where suburban scale of development is most appropriate. Suburban scale of development is considered single-family detached dwelling units, typically on ¼ to ½ acre lots, which may include community amenities and are buffered from any adjacent commercial development. Apartment and townhouse units may be appropriate in certain situations. These areas are intended to serve as infill development in the proximity of the established communities in the northern and southern areas of the County and in close proximity to major existing or planned transportation networks. Development densities should not exceed three dwelling units per acre for residential development and a floor area ration (FAR) of 0.4 for non-residential development.
2. CUP19152632; Conditional Use Permit - Retail at Garrisonville - A request for a conditional use permit (CUP) to allow one single-lane drive-through facility in the B-2, Urban Commercial Zoning District and HC, Highway Corridor Overlay Zoning District, on Tax Map Parcel No. 20-35A (Property). The property consists of 0.82 acres and is located on the north side of Garrisonville Road, approximately 230 feet east of Kingsland Drive, within the Griffis-Widewater Election District. The Property is subject to a concurrent request for reclassification request.
3. Amendment to the Zoning Ordinance - Proposed Ordinance O19-40 would amend the Zoning Ordinance, Stafford County Code Sec. 28-59, “Highway Corridor Overlay District (HC),” to require turn lanes for new development at site entrances from corridor highways.
The public hearing(s) may be continued or adjourned. Copies of the above item(s) and related materials are on file in the Department of Planning and Zoning, 1300 Courthouse Road, and may be examined Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. All interested individuals are invited to attend and present oral or written comments. Persons in need of special accommodations in order to preview the information or to participate in the public hearing should contact the Department of Planning and Zoning at (540) 658-8668 so that reasonable accommodations can be provided.
BY ORDER OF THE STAFFORD COUNTY PLANNING COMMISSION