Courthouse Road Widening & Interchange with I-95 Relocation
State Route 630 and Interstate 95
- VDOT Project
- Construction began in July 2017 to rebuild the I-95 interchange at Exit 140 (Route 630 / Courthouse Road) in Stafford County as a diverging diamond interchange.
- Drivers will continue to use the existing Exit 140 interchange until the end of construction by July 2020.
- This project will relocate the Exit 140 interchange slightly south of the existing interchange. New overpasses will carry Courthouse Road traffic over Interstate 95.
- The project will also relocate the intersection of Courthouse Road and Route 1 to the south to align with Hospital Center Boulevard.
- Courthouse Road will be widened to four lanes between Route 1 and I-95. West of I-95, Courthouse Road will be widened to four lanes to just west of Ramoth Church Road / Winding Creek Road.
- A temporary traffic signal and pedestrian crossing was installed at the entrance to Colonial Forge High School and the Liberty Knolls subdivision before the start of the 2017 - 18 school year.
- A permanent traffic signal will be installed at the end of the project.
- Construction will also realign Ramoth Church Road and Winding Creek Road to intersect at a traffic signal. A traffic signal at this intersection is anticipated to be installed in spring 2019.
- Beau Hoyt - VDOT Area Construction Engineer - (540) 899-4288 - Beau.Hoyt@VDOT.Virginia.Gov
- Kelly Hannon - Communications Manager - (540) 374-3344 - Kelly.Hannon@VDOT.Virginia.Gov
COURTHOUSE ROAD PARK & RIDE LOT- Relocate and expand the VDOT Park & Ride lot on Courthouse Road
- When construction is complete, two new Park & Ride Lots will open east of I-95 - with a total of approximately 1100 parking spaces
- Both Park & Ride lots will be north of the relocated Courthouse Road, on the future Old Courthouse Road (the Courthouse Road currently in use during construction).
- The larger lot will have approximately 850 parking spaces and will include a dedicated carpool / vanpool pickup and dropoff area to assist with High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) use. This lot will also have a dedicated bus dropoff and pickup area.
- A smaller lot on the north side of Old Courthouse Road will have an additional, estimated 250 parking spaces.
- In late summer/early fall 2018, the existing lot will be closed, and users will be shifted to a temporary lot east of I-95 in the same location as the future, permanent lots. The existing 545 parking spaces will be available during construction as the contractor continues work to finish building the permanent lots.
- Both parking lots are scheduled to be completed in December 2019, when the diverging diamond interchange at Exit 140 is anticipated to open to traffic. However, the contractor has until July 2020 to complete all work under contract.
DIVERGING DIAMOND INTERCHANGE (DDI)
- A diverging diamond interchange (DDI) is an innovative design that is increasingly being built or considered by state transportation departments
- The ramp configuration is similar to a traditional diamond interchange - however, traffic on the cross street, Courthouse Road, will switch sides
- Traffic is shifted to the left side of the road, which allows vehicles turning left to enter an interstate on-ramp without stopping at a traffic signal
- Traffic analysis in the form of an Interchange Modification Report was performed on the diverging diamond interchange concept - The findings were approved by the Federal Highway Administration